Monday, March 30, 2009

Christmas Has Come To Superstarra-ville!

Backstory

Pattern: Sheer Scarf from Shibori Knitted Felt
Yarn: 1/5 balls each of Rowan Kid Silk Haze and Rowanspun 4ply
Needles: size 4
Exposition: It's done! Come to find out the recipient is allergic to wool! More on that later...

I finished the knitting of the scarf itself last week but had never gotten around to felting it. Since I was going to see them this past weekend, I figured I would take it with me to my brother's house and felt it there. The pattern instructs to knit the scarf, felt it, then pick up stitches on each end and add a ruffle. I hate picking up stitches, so I decided to provisionally cast on and add the ruffle that way. In the end, however, I decided against the ruffle entirely and instead decided to just add a seed stitch border...which actually looks pretty nice.

The knitting was easy enough, knit, switch colors, knit, switch colors. I was wondering about the stockinette stitch roll factor, but it seems the felting process is helping it to lay flat. The Rowanspun felted pretty quickly and easily...it only took one pass through the agitation cycle. And if you were wondering, the kid silk didn't felt, but it did shed a whole lot and needed a trim here and there.

Overall, I'm really happy with how this turned out. It's nice and warm and...wool! Yeah...right as I was about to give it to my sister-in-law, my sister remembered that she's allergic to wool! Bummer! SIL figures that she could wear it with a turtle neck or over a jacket. I guess that's good enough for me.