Friday, June 26, 2009

Buttercup!


Backstory

Pattern: Buttercup by Heidi Kirrmaier [rav link]
Yarn: GGH Safari
Needles: size 4 and 5
Exposition: Let's all breathe a collective sigh of relief.
It's done! It's done!

Can you believe it? Well, believe it!

There are many Buttercups out there, and I have to agree with most of the knitters out there...it was pretty straightforward. Although I knit mine according to the written instruction [for the most part], I've seen quite a few people adapt the pattern for less of an a-line shape, others who added more lace to the bottom and/or the sleeves, and even one that is two toned...and it has proven to be a pattern that is very adaptable to the needs of the wearer. The only change I did make was to add an extra lace repeat a the bottom band.

I've used the GGH Safari once before and I will admit that I enjoyed it equally this time around. I love the suede-y hand and although I was a bit hesitant of the color, but now I have to say, I really like it...especially since I already own a pair of perfectly matched shoes. What could be better?

I was a bit concerned about how stiff it was when I finished, but as before, the yarn softened to a beautiful drapey material after blocking.

All praise aside, I have a two issues with my finished Buttercup. First off, the neckline is very wide. I have broad shoulders and if it's pulling a Flashdance, it's wiiiiiide. I'll get around to redoing it. I was also hoping for a cute poofy sleeve but alas, it doesn't seem to poof at all. No biggie though. I'm just happy it's done.