Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Panic Attack

We all know how cool our knitting community is, right? Well back in November, I participated in a little contest Leslie was having over at Nake-id Knits. I participated just for fun - and wouldn't you know it, I won!
Well, the poor package that she sent me languished in my PO Box while I made desperate attempts at finishing Christmas knitting. Yesterday I finally was able to remember to get over to the Post Office.

First off, the cutest little card! I love stars! Like you didn't all know that already.

I can honestly say I didn't see the post revealing what the prize was, so imagine my surprise when I pulled these out of the box!

A huge cone of lavender alpaca fingering weight yarn. I love purple and oh-my-god there's so much of it! The possibilities are endless! I've actually been wanting to make the Forest Path Stole for forever, so that will be my first choice for that yarn.

Then I pulled out a massive hank of Lisa Souza lace weight. When I say massive, it is no exaggeration! It's like 2,500 yards of massiveness! I have never been so excited to knit some lace in my life...and if you know me, you know that's some serious excitement. I now have to do some serious research as to what this will become. Something not too taxing to my non-lace knitting brain.
Something rectangular.
Something fabulous.
Something that will lend itself to the colorway.

Is that too much to ask for? Suggestions always welcome, of course!

Thank you, Leslie...I really can't believe you sent all this to me! I'll make you proud, I promise!

Oh, I have something else to share with you!
The finished Anemoi Hat! I will admit now that my panic over it being too big and too busy may have been premature.

Once I finished up the crown decreases, it all seemed to pull together. The pattern doesn't seem as busy and although it still seems a little long, it's not as bad as I thought it might be. It covers my eyebrows and ears, which will probably be good for my boss who is a total So Cal girl and hates the cold. I'm going to give it a nice wash and block and see how it all comes out on the other side.
I still fully intend to make a second, plainer hat, if there's time before she leaves. I just want to have all my gifting bases covered. And who knows, if the plainer hat and mittens seem more suited to my boss' style, this lovely hat may just have to stay behind with me. Bummer, I know.