Thursday, April 12, 2007

Roscoe Lee Browne


Roscoe Lee Browne died yesterday. You may not know his name, but I'm sure you recognize his face, and definitely his voice. I had the honor of meeting Mr. Browne twice. The first time was after a performance of August Wilson's 2 Trains Running on Broadway. To this day, it is the best piece of theatre I have ever seen. He was gracious and signed my playbook and took a picture with me. The second time was a few years ago at a bar in Burbank. I had gone for a drink after work and there he was, sitting alone in the corner. I rounded up some courage to approach him, told him how much I loved the play and he was kind enough to engage in conversation with me.

I'm glad that he has found relief from any suffering he was experiencing with his cancer battle, but at the same time, I am saddened by the loss of another of our great actors.

Note: 2 Trains Running will be opening this month at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego. Another of the original cast members and a friend of mine, Al White, will be performing.