Tuesday, January 22, 2008

All Habu...All The Time...

Before we get into Kit-110 details, I wanted to share with you a super kawaii Christmas present that I got this weekend.
My sister made me a green and black Habu Kusha Kusha scarf! Totally worth the wait! This scarf is made from silk-stainless steel and merino wool. She didn't felt it; she figured she would leave the age old question 'to felt of not to felt' up to me. Also, rather than follow the instructions to the letter, she added some stripes...which I also love.

The scarf itself is soft, warm and light as air. I keep forgetting I have it on. Kinda looks like sea-kelp, no? Love it! Thanks, sis!

And now for the great unveiling...

Habu Kit-110

Backstory

Pattern: Habu Textiles Kit-110: Mohair Pullover; purchased at Habu Trunk Show at Wildfiber
Yarn: Habu Tsumugi Silk Combination A-110 1/0.9 and
Habu Kid Mohair N-52 1/20
Needles: US 7 and 8
Exposition: She loves it, and that's all that matters!

As far as knitting from a schematic goes, it's pretty easy once you understand all those little numbers. The construction was straightforward...although I did run into my personal bonehead moments, I won't blame them on anything other than not paying attention.

Habu Kit-110
The edges of the sweater are silk and the body and sleeves are mohair. The Habu Kid Mohair is soft, light and pretty easy to work with. I did drop stitches, but that goes back to not paying attention. There was practically no stray fiber floating about as I worked with it and it remained intact after the rows and rows of frogging I did. The completed garment is so light and has such a pretty halo to it.

The original sweater we saw at the trunk show was a pretty light green, but gf decided on pink, edged with a darker red/brown. When I first saw it, I wasn't sure about the combination, but against her skin tone, it's perfect. The pink stands out and the edge blends in [which would be the exact opposite effect on me].

I'm really proud of this garment. It turned out beautifully and it looks great on. Yeah! I'm so happy it's done!