Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Patti - Full Stop

Patti

Backstory

Pattern: Patti from Rowan Studio 1 and available for single purchase.
Yarn: Jaeger Luxury Tweed in Red Ink
Needles: Addi US 2 and Options Harmony US 5
Exposition: Aahhh...it is complete. I had my doubts, but it looks like Patti won me over in the end.
Patti
On the other Ravelry-ed Pattis, some knitters had a problem with sizing. I measure 38" and made the 36-38"...it fits perfectly with a t-shirt or even a light sweater underneath. Also, some knitters had issue with the pleats ballooning out. I can't say what they did, but I noticed after the decrease section, the instructions say to continue straight rather than saying to continue in the slip stitch repeat [I kept up the slip stitch until I cast the pleats off]. I think that might have helped along with blocking, blocking, blocking and blocking some more. They still open up a bit, but not enough to annoy me.

Patti Pleat
If you've been keeping up with the Patti saga, you also know I was having issue with the pleats puckering. Well, Saturday, I consulted my bevy of crafty gurus. Mom was busy in the kitchen, so my sister [who studied design and merchandising and is quite an accomplished knitter and sew-ist], my paternal aunt [who is a retired home economics teacher], and one of my maternal aunts [who, according to family fokelore, used to make clothing with only measurements...no patterns] gave me some sage advice. They suggested I tack the pleat together 1/2 an inch down before sewing it in, sewing a row lower than I had, and to block it a bit and see if that would help. Well, I did a little bit of everything and they seem to be hanging up better. Thanks ladies!

Patti Buttonband
I didn't buy any super special vintage-y buttons for Patti. I wasn't sure whether to choose red, blue or purple buttons, so I took a small swatch to compare and contrast. I was able to find some nice dark red buttons at Joann's and feel they add without standing out too much. Very understated.

Patti
Ok, after all my blocking the pleats still balloon out, but I don't care. Do you see that edge? Razor sharp. It just want to be seen.

Like I said this sweater has really won me over. At first I wasn't sure about my yarn choice. I thought the blue and red plied yarn might be funky...splotchy...purple but not. I was also worried about it being a bit scratchy. Well, I'm happy with the color and although the yarn isn't the softest in the world, but it's nice and warm, which I really like. I was also toying with the idea of making full length sleeves. 3/4 won out as I was liking the layering element of this sweater. And I'm happy with that decision, although I do have enough yarn left over in case I change my mind.

Patti Back
And my butt. I mean the back. Not bad, huh? I'm referring to the back, not my butt...

The End.