Thursday, August 28, 2008

Duped.

So I open up my email box this morning what was there to greet me? An innocent looking email from Little Knits, purveyors of fibery saleness. Hmpf. I haven't been interested in buying yarn lately...given my crafty laziness and the fact that I have too much yarn already. But this morning, I figured: "I am strong. I can look and not be lured by the siren's song of discounted yarn. I have bad teeth! I need to save my money and invest in floss. C'mon Little Knits, hit me with your best shot!"

I opened the email. I saw a description.

Elite DK, a smooth wool/cotton blend that is machine washable, is on sale at 55-61% off. This yarn is great for adults and for children.
You can see Elite DK at http://littleknits.com/products.php?cat=672.

Click. Click. Click.
SWOOSH...out comes the credit card.

I was undone.

I was tempted by a few key words. Let's look at that simple passage again.

Elite DK, a smooth wool/cotton blend that is machine washable, is on
sale at 55-61% off. This yarn is great for adults and for children.

You see, we're about to have a minor baby boom in the family and I was planning on knitting sweaters for my sister-in-law and her sister...who are both due at the same time in October. The stash yarn that I have is either in the wrong color family or not easy to care for. And I wanted something special.

I had called my brother a while back and he said that he liked green for the baby since they decided against finding out the baby's gender beforehand. So the nice softy green shade I found will be perfect for a little sweater, hat and maybe booties for my new niece or nephew. And oops...did I buy enough for something for this kid's wonderful Superstarra Auntie? Hmm...it must have jumped into my virtual shopping cart!

And for my new nephew-in-law, I thought something striped might be fun. So I picked up single balls of beige, denim and peach. I will probably throw in some sage too. I hope the colors look good together in person.

So my tale of fiber woe comes to a close. And let this be a warning to you. Don't ever trust innocent looking yarn sale emails. You are never as strong as you think and most yarn purchases are 100% justifiable.