With the completion of my baby items du jour, I've tried very hard to catch starter-itis. A hat here, some fair isle there; but I've remained monogamous to the Cable Coat.
Now let me sidebar for a moment about Vogue magazine's patterns. I hate the way they are laid out. The patterns span several pages, there are charts everywhere - breaking the written instructions into short columns; it's really just a mess. If you make a copy you'll have at least 3-5 copied pages, not to mention any erratas from the website.
I wasn't about to have all those copies floating around so I cut up the columns and taped them to a single sheet of paper, along with some notes from Norah I found on Ravelry. Easy peasy.
So I'm knitting away on the back section. Moss stitch...good times. I was really dreading the moss stitch sections but it is actually much faster then I anticipated. The back was measuring about 9" when I noticed an issue with my decreases. I was supposed to decrease 6 times to reach 58 stitches, but had decreased 5 times and was at 58. Strange. Maybe I casted on the wrong number. I'll just make it up later. Cue knitters intuition. I did some quick math...measured...subtracted...carried the one...it didn't add up.
Well, I finally figured it out...in my need to rebel against Vogue and the stupid layout of their printed patterns, I had taped the sleeve decreases after the start of the back instructions. So, while I was decreasing every 12th row [which would be correct if I were knitting the sleeve], I was supposed to decrease every 4th.
So. I frogged 9 inches worth of moss stitch. Every knit. Every purl. All the way back to row #4. It was just 50 or so rows of moss stitch.
This is a picture of a third of what I had knit. Yeah...this measures about 3 1/2 inches.
I laugh in the face of carpel tunnel and tendonitis.