Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Beaded!

Backstory

Pattern: Flicker from Nectar by Kim Hargreaves
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light
Needles: sizes 3 & 5; 6mm glass beads
Exposition: My first beading project done!

This pattern was easy to follow and fast to knit up. The beading itself was pretty simple, although my beads showed up better on the wrong side, so my hat is actually sewn inside out. I considered knitting in the round, but in the end, decided to just follow the instructions to knit flat and seam.

As you can see, at the top, I have reverse stockinette showing, rather than regular. I also see now that I should have pulled my stitches together a little tighter. I should reseam it, but I'm still not 100% sure I want to pull it all out.

The Ultra Alpaca light was a great yarn to work with. It has a great hand and isn't too fuzzy, although my eyes did get a little irritated from loose fibers floating around. Regardless, I would definitely use it again.

I have more than 1/2 a ball of Ultra Alpaca Light left over and hundreds of beads, so I'm starting in on a second project that will use both, the Victoria Fingerless Mittens from Knitting Luxuries. I've had my eye on this pattern since I got the book, and it's about time to make them right? Since I love the striped version, I decide to mix it with some Teva Duram Loop d Loop Quartz in a similar purple shade. I hope the tone on tone looks good.

Now I just need some cooler weather to get here.