Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Amemoi Mitten

THE OLYMPICS ARE COMING! THE OLYMPICS ARE COMING!!!


Amemoi Mittens
Originally uploaded by superstarra
And my first mitten is only half complete! You know I'm breaking out into a cold sweat every time NBC runs a promo...

STARTING IN 22 DAYS!!!
The Vancouver Olymipcs

Whatever.
I eat knitting deadlines for breakfast.

After I completed the tubular cast on obstacle, everything was going smoothly. I went up a needle size, the knitters intuition was eerily silent and the cuff fit over my hand. JOY!

Then I completed the rib section. You know what came next.
All hell broke loose, that's what.

For some reason, I couldn't get the hand portion of the mitten to cooperate. I had too many stitches or too few stitches or the chart scrambled itself or the gauge was off or the instructions were in Greek. You know. The usual. I knit and frogged back. And knit. And frogged. After 5 or so attempts over two nights, I sat myself down, read the instructions and tried to figure out where I was going wrong.

Seems reading helps!

I took my time and was able to get passed the first 4 rows. Seems it's a good thing I didn't get too far anyway, because on my previous attempts I had totally left out the thumb gusset. And the boss has thumbs. So, as you can see it's all working out, Anemoi and I are friends and getting along splendidly. I should have these babies done with plenty of time to spare.

Of course, today I casually ask my boss when she plans on leaving for Vancouver. She pauses and says...'Well, things are crazy and I don't know if we're actually going to go!'

Then I said, "OH HELL NO! I AM NOT SLAVING OVER 5 TOOTHPICK SIZED NEEDLES AND FINGERING WEIGHT YARN FOR YOU TO BACK OUT NOW!!!"

No, I didn't say that. But I was silent for a long while. Then I said, "we're just going to hope that it can happen".

Regardless, she'll have a beautiful pair of mittens and a lovely hat. And I'll try not to be sad that they might not get it's debut at the Vancouver Olympics.
Anemoi Mitten palm