Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Organization Is A Mofo

Seems I've fallen off the blogging face of the Earth again. I'll try to stop it.

Thanks for all the well wishes on my new place. I've been trying to get it all together, but have seem to have lost steam somewhere along the way. This happened, of course, because I only have less than 5 moving boxes to unpack. Yeah. And I certainly don't have the excuse of the Olympics anymore...although I am 4 episodes behind on Lost...I think that's excuse enough. Ok, I know. I'm getting on it.

One thing that has come to my attention during this move is my stash. I know I said it before, but I have a lot of yarn. Not crazy amounts, but certainly enough to keep me occupied for long time. Last year, when I started the Stash-to-Accessory Knit-a-thon, I pulled all my odds and ends yarns out and put them in their own separate-but-equal bin. That left all the yarns meant for larger projects. Now these yarns are stored in their own bins, but I don't have a specific system by which they are organized.

So this is where I throw the question out to you:

How do you organize your stash?
Do you organize by...
1. ...weight? Sock yarns, bulkys, worsteds...
2. ...fiber? Cottons, wools...
3. ...intended projects? shawls, sweaters, hats...
4. ...time of year you would knit/wear said fo? Summer/Spring, Winter/Fall...
5. ...where ever there's room?

I was first thinking to organize by season or by intended projects. "here are all my yarns that are a sweaters worth or more..." or "it's summer, what can I knit" [because we all know in the heat of August no one even wants to think about, much less see a hank of wool].

So give me some suggestions. I look forward to your thoughtful advice.