Monday, July 18, 2005

Betcha Didn't Know I'm A Painter...

Well, neither did I.

I spent a good portion of my weekend painting the Nichos Frames for my friend's birthday presents. They actually came out much better than I anticipated. Shock and surprise.


First off, this is for my good friend from college. I am one of his legions of fag hags, so I hope he enjoys the kitchy-ness of the frame. I'm going to put a picture of the two of us from New Year's Eve a few years back...in it I'm very red faced and tipsy and he's diva, as always. The painting was pretty straight forward, not too much color mixing because I just wanted big, bright colors. I keep thinking I should add something else, but I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. I also thought about painting the nails, but that was just too gay, and Miss Nygrah said to keep it plain. I'm really happy with how the flower turned out and the color combo. Serendipity!

This is the heart frame [obviously you can tell that from the shape...DUH!], which will be a gifty for my best friend. I have a slightly blurry picture of the two of us that will be very cute in here. Why is it, after 25 years of knowing this girl, so hard for me to find a picture that we both look cute? I mean, the one I chose is the best I could find, and it's out of focus. But I digress. I tried to find some inspiration of sacred hearts on the internet, but didn't see too much that actually inspired me, so I just went for it. I'm not very happy with these flowers. They were the first that I did, so I guess I learned from experience. I didn't really didn't have a plan for the colors, but just went with it. Not bad, but better planning might have yielded a result that I could have been more in love with.

What I am in love with on this frame is the flame. I was worried about how to make it look cool, so I took a lot of time with it. The colors mixed up pretty nicely, if I do say so myself. I kept painting and painting and painting, and finally had to walk away. I came back and was pretty impressed with myself. I hope she likes it. She better!

Thanks to Miss Nygrah for helping me out with these. I trust her artistic eye and value her opinion on my non-painting painting skills.