Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What's My Motivation? CABLES!

Backstory

Pattern: Ladies Cable Sweater #41 from Rebecca 27
Yarn: Winter Cotton [60% cotton, 40% acrylic]
Needles: Size 9 and 10 Boye circular needles
Exposition: I'm so happy that I'm done! Where do I start? My overall impression [for those who don't want to read about my bitch time knitting it] is I'm very pleased with my results. I love the pattern more in person. The Winter Cotton is a great yarn to work with [even frogging wasn't that bad...and I should know!]

On to the bellyaching...
My Modifications: I added about an inch and a half to the length of the sweater's body and sleeves, which will help with not having to walk around pulling front of the sweater down crotch level. I also omitted the collar by extending the ribbing up around the neck and grafting at [almost] center back. Beyond that, I followed the instructions as written. I didn't use the non-cable needle method, since most of my knitting was done whilst travelling...besides, I needed a use for all those needles I stole from mom.

The Bitch Session: The sweater itself is more fitted that I thought it would be, but I'm okay with that. I think that cotton may give a little after it's been washed, so it will all work out, right? As you've probably been reading [ugh, here I go again] over the past few weeks, Cable 41 has been an easy knit in theory, but in practice it was a whole 'nother story. It has helped me to realize that I need to check in with the instructions [whodathunk?] often and unless it's stockinette stitch, I can't just roll merrily along. I also think I did a crappy job on the side seams, but am not sure yet if I'm going to reseam or not.

The Love Fest: Aren't these cables gorgeous? I'm so excited that I'm wearing this exact outfit tomorrow. For once my MTA travelling companions will see me wearing one of my projects. I still have about 8 balls of the Winter Cotton left over, and I already have a plan for them....Quick Knits for Holiday Gifts. I hope to get a lot of wear out of Cable 41, since Fall is for Cables, you know.

***Sorry if the pictures look too dark, I will try to get some natural light shots this weekend!***