Friday, February 24, 2006

Laziness Is My Invention's Mama

So, I was wearing my fingerless gloves at work last week and one of my coworkers admired them and asking where I got them because she'd love a pair for her daughter. I didn't want to offer to make a pair since there were less than worthy ears hanging around my desk too [besides that, I've got a list to start, damnit!], so I told her we'd talk later about it.After work, I went over to my local TJ Maxx and found some Liz Clairborn chunky knit gloves. By the gauge, I figured I could frog back the fingers and thumb, knit to cover the knuckles, and bind off. At $3, it wasn't much of a gamble. They are a funky mix of a acrylic yarn with a novelty variegated ladder yarn. Easy enough in theory.
I had considered frogging back the entire glove to the thumb and reknitting the whole thing, but I was really much to lazy. So I just undid the tip to the appropriate length and bound off. Lucky me, the only larger DPNS I had were the perfect size.
Frogging the fingers wasn't too difficult, with the exception of the myriad of stitches that were tangled up in the novelty yarn. I had more than enough yarn to knit a few rows in stockinette, then a few more in 2x2 rib, then the big bind off. One down, one to go.
Frog, knit, repeat and I've got a pair of fingerless gloves!