Friday, April 21, 2006

In Honor Of...

I try to keep the mood around Superstarra-ville light, but now I've got to get serious.

On May 13, 2006, I will be participating in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women. This team was assembled in honor of my friend who passed two weeks ago. Liz was a Texas transplant who lived in LA for a few years. I met her through a friend and had the honor of knowing her for about a year or so. Liz was friendly, bright and helpful…especially when we were on tour last year.

Liz was diagnosed with cervical cancer and after being treated was given a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, the doctors failed to find other cancerous tumors in her back. Liz was only 28 when she passed away. I did not have to chance to know her for very long, but I am still very saddened by her death. Like someone said at her memorial last week, some people come into our lives to be stepping stones for us to find our way. Liz was one of those people, as she touched the lives of so many.

I also have another friend whose 24 year old cousin is currently fighting ovarian cancer. She is very sick right now, but will need to have her ovaries and part of her bladder removed…so I will be walking for her also.

Sorry to be such a bummer, but I want to ask for your support. Please sponsor my walk. No donation is too small!!! I would be honored if you would donate the cost of your morning coffee. I’d hate for any other mother and father to lose their 20-something year old daughter to one of these diseases.

Here is a link to my page for the walk [it's under the name Ruth Ricks].

If you are uncomfortable donating online, just leave me a comment and I'll get back to you.