Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Go For Beauregard


Backstory

Pattern: Go For Baroque from SNB Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Yarn: Rowan Cotton Glace in Splendor
Needles: size G crochet hook
Exposition: Well, it's all done. My second crochet project!

Let's see, where do I start? Mercerized cotton is a bitch to work with, but I'm happy to have this yarn out of my stash. I'm not 100% thrilled with the color, but I can live with it. I did a light blocking, but think that I should give it a really good stretch so the pattern opens up properly. I also got kinda sick of the shell pattern and was anxious for this experience to be over. I also need to find the right closure.

Doesn't sound very positive does it?
Well actually, I'm happy with it. This little number is very pretty and it has a lot of potential a very stylish part of my wardrobe.

As for my concerns above...
-The cotton will be nice for a light summer cover up.
-I thought about overdying, but don't want to ruin the sweater if the dye job isn't consistent. Besides, the color will look every nice with my summer whites.
-I am going to give it a better block job. There's no excuse for this half assed one.
-As the for the closure, the pattern calls for a beautiful [and I believe pretty expensive] dyed silk ribbon to tie 'round the waist. On a whim, I picked up some ribbon at Michaels. Of course, I didn't have the sweater or even a swatch of yarn to match up. So I bought some random cheap-o cutesy purple ribbon and although it looks nice, it's not the end all be all. I'm not even sure if I like this tied at the waist ribbon closure on my body type. It looks great standing still, but once you get to moving around it's a little sloppy. I'm thinking a really cool frog of some sort, but I'll have to see what I can find.

I'll probably do a little blocking, a little closure deciding, a little wardrobe research and some better picture taking.

Until then...here's a picture of Violet in progress. Yes, I took this in the bathroom stall. I had to wait for someone to finish washing their hands so I could take this. I mean really, what would you think if you were in the bathroom and saw a flash going off in the stall at the end?

***********