Monday, May 21, 2007

Summer Knitting

Over the last few months my crafting goals have changed up a bit. Rather than making a long list of goals that I wanted to accomplish, I've been working on things that inspire me in the moment. Call it 'knitting by the seat of my pants'. I've also been trying to use up yarn that I already have as much as possible. I've kinda failed at this, but it's a work in progress, as we all know.

One thing about my stashette that is getting me down is the amount of bits and pieces of leftovers that I have. They take up an inordinate amount of space and some yarn I just get TIRED of looking at. So this morning when I saw Liz K spreading the word about the Summer of Stash, it seemed perfect.

My Summer of Stash plans will be primarily to get rid of all those little bits and pieces and odd balls that I can't stand seeing. But what to make? With my newfound crochet skills, granny squares keep coming to mind. Have you seen all the beautiful Babette Blankets? Not only will it use up all those annoying bits and pieces, granny squares are portable and the perfect summer project. YEAH! But unlike most of the ones in the Flickr group, I'm not going to limit myself with a planned color theme. I'm going to use it all! One of the coolest [and warmest] things my mom ever made were these heavy multi colored knitted block throws. Each block a willy-nilly color, in different knit swatches, all edged in black. You could guarantee that my dad would be wrapped up in one when he was sick. Best thing for a cold since chicken soup! I think that I'll rummage around today and see what I can come up with.

Don't worry, I do have some larger projects [that still involve stash diving] so you won't be bored with endless granny squares all summer.