Monday, July 09, 2007

Summer Of LOVE

Backstory

Pattern: Tunic with Lace Pattern #42 from Rebecca magazine #27
Yarn: GGH Safari [nylon/linen blend] in purple
Needles: Size 5 circulars and size 7 to pick up stitches around the neck
Exposition: Like I said in a previous post, I've had my eye on this pattern for a few years. I was drawn to the beachy summery style, the bell sleeves and the bit of lace. It was never high on the priority list, and since I didn't have appropriate yarn, it sort of fell by the wayside. Fast forward to this year when I just so happen to have found some Safari on uber-sale at a LYS. I was just too excited to cast on! This is the perfect beach cover-up for my family reunion trip!

Unfortunately, the pattern is written in a single size: 34/36". I normally make the 36/38" in Rebecca patterns, and although the pattern looks loose fitting on the model, I was concerned about the resulting fit on my body. I did a little preliminary measuring of favorite t-shirts, consulting with my mom [the knitting guru] and comparing the finished measurements alongside a similar Rebecca pattern using the same yarn [in the 36/38"]. What I did as a result of those findings was completely haphazard. I omitted two of the waist decreases, dropped the armhole down 2cm and left cookies out for the knitting fairies. Of course, I didn't know what to do when it came to matching up the extra 2cms on the sleeves, so I just knit and extra row and blocked, blocked, blocked. I was also concerned about the edges of the size vents curling in, so I after the edge stitch, I purled one of the knit stitches. I don't know if that one purl stitch made a difference, but it's not curling, so I'm going with it.

Now onto the good stuff. I'm so excited this is done! This was my first time using this yarn and I really regret not getting more. It's so soft and has a wonderful drape that shows off my stomach to its full advantage when not properly sucked in. I love the bit of lace; it made what could have been a boring knit more interesting and adds a little delicate touch overall. The longer length is perfect over some short shorts or for a little bathing suit modesty. The final fit is a little tighter on me than it is on the model, but that's okay. Since I fill it out a little better it doesn't seem as low cut and I don't need to add on the little ties. It was perfect for a visit to the museum today. Light enough to carry in my purse and the perfect weight to keep me warm in the air conditioned galleries.

Nothing else to say other than, 'Virginia, here we come!'