Friday, August 03, 2007

Blue Curacao...And Other Delights

Backstory

Pattern: Blue Curacao Shawl from Amazing Lace Crochet
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft DK in Pecan
Hook: I
Exposition: I know you've all been begging for modeled shots, but that's just going to have to wait...the outfits I've been putting together have been lackluster and this needs something fabulous. Don't worry, they're coming. For now, you'll have to appreciate the Tragic Kindgom's well manicured grassy knoll as a backdrop.

Ok...on to the exposition about this pattern.

After figuring out how to start it, it was smooth sailing and problem free. I only had to frog back 1/2 a row once, people! And after Walking After Midnight, that's amazing.

The pattern says: "Gauge is not critical. Fabric will not grow excessively with blocking, so keep the work relaxed for the airiest effect and to obtain a reasonably sized shawl." Of course, I didn't read that part, so the shawl is a little smaller than I would have liked. Right now it hits me right above the elbow and [depending on how it's arranged] midback. I have a ball and 1/2 left over so I'm toying with the thought of frogging the edge and adding another repeat [or making a pair of Mrs. Beetons or Fetching]. Although I would like it to have been a little bigger, the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl is very larger and having a smaller shawl might be nice.

If you've been reading the past day or so, you've read my feelings about the color [so I won't say any more about it!]. This yarn, however is wonderful! So worth the $10 a ball I didn't pay for it. It's so soft and was really lovely to work with [although the softness sometimes gave me no traction]. If I could afford it, I would buy this yarn again.

***********


Well, I got home last night and rather than cast on Patti, I finished up the Cropped Jacket's sleeve #2. Both sleeves are blocking and while I wait for them to dry, I will finish up the collar. I don't plan on mentioning this project again. That is, until it's 100% done. I'm tired of talking about it and you must be tired of endless posts saying "it's almost done, it's almost done".

So, what else do I have to say then? Hmmm...not much.

OH, there's THIS:

My blogging Oscar!

As it goes, schmoozing is the natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship."

Jennifer, my co-hostess of the Fall Cable KAL I & II [and maybe III?] awarded me the Schmooze Award. I'm truly touched that she thought of me. It really started my weekend off with a bang!

I have over 100 blogs that I keep up with regularly, for so many different reasons. Some I've just started reading and others...well, I feel like I've know y'all for years. Narrowing the choice down to 5 is really hard, but here goes!

Gina at Life in LaLaLumay Land: I love Gina's blog. She's candid and funny; she has purple hair and she lead me to my new guru, Dan Ho! She fearlessly posts about dud patterns and has great taste in shoes [Oh, the green ones that got away!!!].

Karma at Goodkarmago: Karma is one of the sweetest, most beautiful people I've "met" in the blogisphere. She's encouraging, complimentary and has the sweetest baby! Of course, she'd have to have a good spirit, since she teaches the Children of America.

Kim at Yarnabuse: Kim cracks me up. Any blogger who makes a voodoo doll of their boss is A-O-K in my book. And she's has the best taglines ever: 'It will put the yarn in the basket' . Makes me laugh every time. I strive to be as clever as Kim.

Anna at Annasyarnmansion: I've only been reading Anna for a little while now, but I'm a huge fan. She's funny and we seem to think a like. ;) I love that like me, she seems to have an endless cast of characters visiting her blog. Besides that, we're practically related, since our fibery wards are cousins!

and Christine at Talullah's World: Christine is amazing. She's a caring mother of two, generous to a fault and is an amazingly strong woman. Two years ago She organized a contest to benefit a cancer walk I participated in and seems to find the beauty in everything.

I just wanted to say thank you ladies, those mentioned above and all my friends here in the knit-blog community. You are amazing. You inspire, entertain and encourage me...from the smallest creepy Poppy-head ornament to the complexity of cables to knit/crochet lace to the second-coming of socks.

I wish you a great weekend! As for me, it's party weekend. But, check back Sunday, I'm putting the finishing touches on my first contest, so be prepared!