Thursday, September 27, 2007

Born to Blossom, Bloom to Perish

Here is my 'Lady of the Night' as my mom calls it around 7pm last night. I talked to her earlier in the day...I was trying to brag about how my flower was going to bloom. She said that if the little tendrils around the bud started to pull back that it would most likely bloom that night or the following. She also said to watch it until about 9pm...if it didn't bloom by then, it would be the next night.

Well, around 9, there was no flower action. Gf had called and said she wanted to take me to an art exhibition at the Music Center. "At 9pm, in downtown LA? Don't you mean at MOCA?"
Well, she wasn't mistaken. It was at the Music Center as a part of 07/08 Dance at the Music Center season. In this work, called Slow Dancing, dancer's movements were filmed with a special HD camera. That film was then slowed down to 1,000 frames per second and shown on 4 different 16 foot screens. The result was absolutely astonishing. Here are a few pictures that I took.

This dancer's body was to amazingly perfect. In the beginning, she was simply lifting her leg in front of her, but you could see every single muscle working. She really showed how beautiful the human body truly is.

This dancer's movements were incredible. She didn't have the "classic" dancer's body, but she was gorgeous. Here, she looks as if she were underwater or flying. I'd really love to see her dance in real time.

The always fabulous Judith Jamison.

This exhibition was at Lincoln Center in NYC this past July and unfortunately, it closed in LA last night. If you have a chance to catch it elsewhere, please do. It really made me want to get my ass back into a ballet class.

Just to whet your appetite, here is a video clip of one of the dancers. Imagine that butt on a 16 foot screen. Nuff said.

Once we got home, guess what was there to greet us! The Lady has made her debut! Gf couldn't smell it, but I could. Oh, isn't she glorious! What a great way to cap off a great night.

Unfortunately, she was gone by this morning.