Monday, November 12, 2007

Returning To Normal

Hi again everyone! A week ago today, gf and I were at the Louvre and Notre Dame. That being said, it's hard to be at work today.
Winged Victory of Samothrace. I don't know why, but I've always thought this statue was so beautiful, despite her missing arms and head [fyi: one of her hands is in a case across the landing...which to me was just strange]. Maybe her imperfection just add to her beauty. So it was such and experience to stand in front of her. She sits at the top of a staircase, and is so grand in scale [compared to some of the other pieces that looked much smaller in person that I had imagined].

I took pictures of the jewels for my mom...who loves herself some sparkley baubles. The tiara has 24 sapphires and 1083 diamonds. Yeah. Whatever.

Notre Dame. I love a big Gothic cathedral, my favorite up to this point being St. Patrick's in New York. Notre Dame is just so awesome and humbling. And while we were visiting, Mass was being held, so there was incense in the air and some singing. It was just such a cool experience.

So. Paris. Where to start?
First off, the city is amazing. I've been thinking about the trip and the festival [our whole reason for going] and I think that it was an experience that couldn't be duplicated...and it happened right when I could us a kick in the pants. Since the festival was for lesbian/feminist cinema, we were able see films and talk to women from all over the world. How eye opening! I think that as people, we always look at our circumstance and think that the grass is greener or the opportunities more plentiful on the other side of the fence. And sometimes it's true. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the opportunities are right in our face but we're always looking elsewhere. This realization has given me a new motivation that I'm really trying to sustain now that we're home. Although the US has its issues...the sky really is the limit. Often times, there isn't anything holding us back other than the limitations we put on ourselves. I can't let anyone limit my potential, especially not me!

So I've started thinking creatively everyday and putting my mind into the game of getting my life where I want it to be. It's daunting, but it's certainly better than waiting to be discovered at the local Starbucks, right?

With this newfound motivation, knitting is on the back burner at the moment...have no fear, I'm getting back to it! I still need to finish the Habu sweater. I honestly [foolishly] though I would be able to finish it while we were gone. HA! So that's on the list, as well as knitting gift scarves for our Parisian hostesses and starting on Christmas knitting. Christmas is when again?