Thursday, January 10, 2008

3 FO's for the New Year!

A few things to show you! I'm not just organizing, I'm knitting a little and putting the finishing touches on two leftovers from last year!

Neckwarmer

Backstory

Pattern: Cashmere Neckwarmer by Kim at Yarn Abuse
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay 100% Wool
Needles: US 8
Exposition: After returning from Paris, I really wanted to make scarves for our hostesses. I thought a handmade gift might be nice, so I found out their preferred colors, found some yarn and knitted away. They aren't very fussy girls, so I thought a scarf that would keep their necks warm as they walked to and from the Metro and tuck nicely into their jackets would be perfect.

Neckwarmer Button
I was able to knit this up pretty quickly, but finding the perfect button was a bit more challenging. I took a trip to Wildfiber last night and found this perfect button. I love this button. I should have bought a second one.

Neckwarmer
I knit the end just long enough to tuck in without any excess bulk. I had enough Manos to make a second scarf...but I think I'll give that one to my sister-in-law whose new school colors are navy and orange.

Yummy Neckwarmer

Backstory

Pattern: Yummy Neckwarmer by Queta. Pattern on Craftster
Yarn: Joanne Sensations Licorice
Needles: US 13
Exposition: This scarf is for our other Parisian hostess. The colors are bright and sunny and I really hope she likes it.

Yummy Neckwarmer Button
Like the Neckwarmer above, I was able to finish this really quickly...of course, the perfect buttons for this were also purchased at Wildfiber. I love these buttons. It's going to be hard to part with this scarf.

Yummy Neckwarmer
Rather than sew the buttons vertically, like in the original pattern, I sewed them horizontally, starting in the corner and placing the two others along the scarf edge. I think it give the scarf a nice finished touch and was a little less bulky around the neck. If the button placement is too tight, she can undo the top button and it will fold over nicely. Nice and toasty warm. All ready for their trip to Paris!

Backstory

Pattern: Luxe Neckwarmer from Knit Two Together by Mel Clark and Tracey Ullman
Yarn: Pingouin Fleur de Laine and Muench Furrari; knitting with both strands held together
Needles: US 10 1/2
Exposition: My oldest sister's birthday is New Years Eve, so I decided [very last minute] to make her a scarf...since she lives in Texas and it's pretty cold there right now.

Luxe Neckwarmer
Although I found the perfect pattern, finding a nice yarn in my Gift Stash Bin was a bit more difficult. I took and evening to play around with a few different yarns, but none of them did the trick. I had tried a swatch with the Pingouin, but thought it would be too light and floppy. Then I had the brilliant idea to knit it with the Furrari. After a few rounds, there was no going back. Frogging was impossible. So I knit until I ran out of Furrarri...which was about 4 hours later.

Luxe Neckwarmer
I do like the color variation and the Furrarri is super soft and airy; I'm guess would probably be so warm it would cause one's neck to sweat...which are all good things...I suppose, but it is waaaaaay too fuzzy.

I'm sure my sister will look at it and say, "what was she thinking? She sent me blue fuzzy roadkill". Regardless, I think that I'll send it to her anyway, and maybe make her a second scarf like this in a less hairy yarn.

That's all for now...Habu updates this weekend!