Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What To Do? What To Do?

28/365: Drowning Sorrows
Life throws me lemons, I eat mini chocolate bundt cake.

Today hasn't been the greatest day at work but at least the shit that hit the fan wasn't mine. Ew. Bad visual.

So last night I took one step closer to a finished Patti. Since I wanted to get as much of the knitting done as possible, I decided to knit up the button bands pre-blocking. I used one ball for each side...so I can adjust the length and place the buttonholes accordingly.

Do you ever wonder when you're blogging if what you type makes sense?

Anyway...with Patti as completed as it could be, I decided to get ready for my next project. So I went into my stash and pulled out all the yarn that I would use for the first Project Spectrum element: Fire. Lovely reds, oranges and pinks. But what to make? Well, there were a few considerations besides Project Spectrum to consider. I decided that first and foremost I needed to knit something that would be gifted [per my Christmas-New Year's Resolution]. Also my hands and wrists have been telling me how much they have been disliking this long period of nothing but smaller needles, so it would have to be knit on size 7 [as the smallest] and/or be a crochet project. What to do?

Well the first thing that came to mind was using some stash pink and red yarn to make the Anouk dress for a friend's baby. I was able to get gauge, but I just wasn't excited about it. Then I had a brilliant idea...


SUPER HAPPY CROCHET CUTE!

Put my Christmas present to good use! I could make one for my friend's baby and one for her older son too! Oh I'm so excited!

But then I ran into a bit of a conundrum.

The author suggests using 100% acrylic for these projects as they have the least amount of give. That means buying yarn rather than stash busting. On the bright size, the acrylic is super cheap...it's not like I would be buying 8 balls of Calmer or anything.

So, do I buy some yarn to make something I'm excited about or do I make something I'm not excited about and stashbust?