Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So I Got Called A Nigger Today

So you know I live in Los Angeles. I like to think it's a pretty liberal place, especially since there are so many cultures and people living in such close proximity. But every so often, I'm reminded that it really isn't.

Today I was driving home from work along one of the side streets in Hollywood when this dark colored SUV pulls out from a side street, almost T-boning my car. I honk, smash on the brakes and scream, "You almost killed me! Watch where you're going!!!'

I continue down the street and this guy pulls behind me, then into the center turn lane, passing me then cutting me off. So I scream at the top of my lungs again, 'Oh you've got to be kidding me!' He starts driving slow, then stops quick [I guess in an effort to make me rear end him] then we come to a stop light. I scream at him again and he looks at me in his side mirror, flips me off and says, 'Fuck you, Nigger.'

I about lost my shit.

I started screaming at the top of my lungs. When I finally got to my turn, I pulled up beside him and yelled out, 'You ought to be ashamed of yourself.'

Not a very cutting remark, but he thing that blows my mind is two of these stickers where on his car.

For those of you who don't know, this is the sticker that represents Leather Lovers. GAY men who enjoy leather. Yes, I was called a nigger by a homosexual man. Like he's not in the minority. Like any of his rights and freedoms are guaranteed. As if people like him haven't had to endure prejudice and hatred. Isn't there still talk of a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage? Aren't there too many stories of people being beaten and murdered simply because they're gay? Yea, it was good that he put me in my place, letting me know exactly what he thought of me and those like me, right?

Yeah, I'm still a little bitter....after 5 hours, a Lakers win and yoga class.

Believe me, I'm keeping an eye out for that dark colored SUV with California vanity plates [I should have written it down, but do know that it had the word GAY in it] with two of the above stickers on it, and with some Caucasian man driving who thinks it's okay for him to maneuver erratically and call people nigger. I wonder if he has the balls to say it to my face. Believe me, if I see him again, I plan on finding out.