Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Tale Of Two Tunics

So this passed week I've been plugging away at the Textured Tunic. I knit a little, try it on, check the fit and the length then keep on knitting away.

Cue Knitters Intuition.

Something keeps bugging me about the fit of the Textured Tunic. And the bulkiness of it. It looks so...so very unflattering. The more I knit, the louder the voice keeps getting.

I thought a side by side comparison with a tunic sweater I love might help...

The Fronts
Sweater #1: Tunic with Lace Pattern
I love this sweater. I love the yarn. It's lightweight, has a great drape and is soft and comfortable. It doesn't cling too tightly or show off every lump and bump in the road.

Sweater #2: Textured Tunic
A very similar style to Sweater #1. As it hangs right now, it falls nicely and from this distance it doesn't seem to accentuate the "unpositives". However, this sweater [as written] doesn't hang...the front edges wrap around to the side and attached to the back edge. Which means it comes over the tummy and is a little tighter around the tops of the thighs...yeah, not so cute. Quite a few knitters have eliminated the side buttons completely, but that's one of the things I like about this sweater.
The Sides
Sweater #1: Tunic with Lace Pattern
I'm just going to say it. I have a bit of a belly. So the side vents keep the bottom open and prevent me from looking too chub-chub.

Sweater #2: Textured Tunic
Not that this is bad, but like I said before, the bottom of the front vent will be pulled back to meet the back section. I guess I should have moved my hand so you could see what I'm talking about, huh?

I thought about shortening the sweater, but I don't think that will help with the bulk issues I'm having. I'm really at an impasse. My instinct is to frog and rethink this yarn as a cardigan.