Monday, June 01, 2009

The Galaxy Has Exploded

I am not having any luck with these wips. Maybe it's their revenge for making me wait so long for finishing.

After the issues with Glint and the Cabled Coat, I figured I would give one of my other long suffering projects a go. The Galaxy Tank. So over the past two weekends, I've been giving Galaxy my finishing attention. I even enlisted my sister and her dressform to help me out.

After attaching the bias tape to the fabric body, we attempted to randomly, yet attractively balance out the crochet circles for Galaxy's top.

Random, attractive and balance were very difficult to achieve, but in the end [which was around midnight], we thought we did a pretty good job.

I did a little tweaking to the edging and this weekend felt I was ready to start attaching the circles to each other and to the fabric portion of the tank.

So the dressform, Dolly, once again volunteered her services as my voluptuous stand in.

I thought crocheting the circles would be a breeze...but alas, it was a pain in the ass.

Once again, random, attractive and balance was difficult to find.

After more time that I would like to admit, I was able to get all of the circles joined to the bodice and thought it might be a good idea to try it on. Just to see how it looked and to give me the motivation to push through the pain and finish it off.

And that was probably one of my best ideas of the day.

First off, the straps were too short causing it to ride up into my armpits. Not a good thing when considering a summer top.

Second, the whole look was off. It looked very dated to me. And not in a hip, retro way. More in a 'oh, you made that in Home Ec, didja?' way. My sister thought it might have been the combo of diagonal stripes and circles trapped in a crochet net. I think she's not far off the mark on that one.

So needless to say, this project has been a bit of a disaster. But all is not lost! I have an idea of how to rework this into something wearable.

Keep your fingers crossed!