Monday, June 26, 2006

The Demise Of Hot Lava

Remember this? This is what used to be the fabulous Hot Lava. In a fit of industriousness, I decided to frog the damn thing. I loved Hot Lava. It was a fun knit and a great design. My choice of yarn left a lot to be desired. I used a cone of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky. If you can remember that far back, I miscalculated and was short yardage-wise, but the design still turned out great.

'Why would she frog?', you ask. Let me tell you...I'm realizing more and more that I'm not a big fan of mohair. Or any hairy fiber for that matter. Sometimes I can tolerate the slight itchiness, but I hate having little hairs in my eye or tickling at the back of my throat. Beside that, the hairy fibrousness would stick to everything and I would have beautiful green fibers all over my clothes after washing anything Hot Lava came in contact with. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to wear it, but decided against for those reasons. Trust that it will be revisited and is the first thing on my Fall Knitting list [I think I may frog a poncho for it's second incarnation].

As for the Lamb's Pride, I'm currently knitting it into the French Market Bag. I didn't do a test felting, I'm just going to play it by ear and hope for the best. I do need to get it done before Sunday as a trip through Mom and Dad's washing machine will be in order while I partake in early 4th of July/Dad and Cousin's Birthday/Crab Cook/Fish Fry/Superstarra Family Goodness.