Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Feeling Romantical

First off, let me extol on the virtues of our knitting community.

A few weeks back I received a Ravelry message from Chocolate Stitches' Yaya She saw that I was also making the Cropped Jacket in Lace Pattern from Rebecca, was stuck, and asked for a little advice. I told her what I guessed may have been wrong and after a few e-mails back and forth, she had solved her problem and was making progress. She's still working on it, and I look forward to her finished project. Last week Yaya e-mailed me and said she wanted to send me something special as a thank you for helping her out. I said sure, send me a card...we're all here to help each other out and when it comes to knitting, we all need help...and that I was just glad she asked and that I could actually help her out.

I certainly wasn't expecting this! People, you're forcing me to become an obsessed sock knitter! I don't know how this is happening! She sent me some of the most beautiful green sock yarn from Doodlebirds Creations! Oh, it's so heavenly soft and the color...oh the color. I love it. So, here are my sock plans. I will use this for the Spiral Boot socks, and use the Ragtime Wildfoote for the Twisted Tweed. It's so perfect, since I wanted the Spirals in a solid and the Twisted in a variegated. Everyone wins! AUGH! I can't wait to start! Thank you! Thank you!!!


Ahem...Now on to my other current love...

Romantic Hand Knits by Annie Modesitt.

I usually take my time when it comes to new knitting book releases, but as soon as I saw a few previews, I knew I had to get this one as soon as possible. And I really love this book. The photography is gorgeous and the patterns are varied [tops, skirts, dresses and accessories] and so beautiful. Not all of them suit me, but they all have a lot of appeal. Here are my personal favorites...



A Streetcar Named Desire.

Well, first off, I love the color. I also like the light femininity of it. It looks comfy and great for layering. Over a tank in the Spring and paired with a long sleeve tee in the Fall.

I would add a clasp at the waist, so it would stay closed and maybe add length to the sleeves. I think for it to be transitional, color would be key. Although don't think that I would go dark, like I did with the Powder Jacket.

I have some more lavender All Seasons Cotton in the stash, so you might see this one on my needles before too long.



Charade


I love a wrap sweater. One really can't go wrong in a wrap. I think they compliment many, many figures...and we all need waist definition, right? I really like the lace pattern.

I don't know if I'll make this one, though. It is similar to the Airy Wrap from Fitted Knits...at the moment, I like them equally. The Airy Wrap looks a little more on the casual side, and I think that I might be leaning to the more elegant nature of this sweater. We'll see if I even get around to it. The way the queue keeps growing...



An Affair To Remember

The cover picture of this skirt of one of the primary reasons I wanted this book. This girl needs some booty enhancing! The inside picture, however isn't as flattering. I can't tell if it's the way the model is standing...strangely pigeon-toed, or if it's the skirt itself that is making her look hippy. That's to be expected with a fluted skirt, but I'm not sure if I'm 100% on board with this one. I might have to see some fo's before I go there. I need booty, not hips. I have plenty of those.



Now Voyager

Another instance of love at first sight. I'm almost blocking out the thought of 500+ stitches...in the round...on size 6's.

It's so simple and elegant. I love the long, long length. Oh it's so beautiful! I could take or leave the embroidery, but if I make this one, I would probably go there.
And did I happen to mention that I have yarn in the stash that I could use for this one too? It won't be done anytime soon, but I may cast on and work on it...for the next 5 years.





Cleopatra

When I first saw this pattern, I though, OOOoOOoOoo..pretty, then I thought of Saun's dress. Then I thought...Hey...I've seen that somewhere before. Oh yeah, Grumperina! Almost a year ago, she made that dress for the book. Beautiful job, huh? She's so talented!

Again, I probably won't ever tackle this, but it's so gorgeous! I wouldn't change a thing...except maybe my body fat percentage.

Great job on knitting it up, Grumperina!



Jezebel

Ok. I'm getting on those sit ups.

I would love to rock this dress.

What's not to love? It's super fitted and cleavage enhancing and shows off the gams. Living in LA, I know I could get away with wearing this out and about.

My only issue would be a bra to wear with it. I"m not a huge fan of halter bras, and this one cuts so deep that wearing a regular strapless would show...and I'm not about to go bra-less, peeps. There would have to be a way of making it either a tank or criss-cross. Don't think that I'm not seriously considering this one.

After a few million squats.



High Society

Hats! There are hats in this book! Two really pretty hat patterns, this being one of the two. I want to make a hat. How cool would it be to make a hat? A really cool sophisticated lady hat.

I wanna make a hat!


Well, that's it folks. You really should check this book out in person. Some of the other patterns don't suit my taste, but I can see the potential of all of them being very popular with many, many knitters.

And if you decide to make one of the patterns, there is a Knit-a-long set up already. They are looking to start in November, so that gives you plenty of time to get the book, choose a pattern and find your yarn.

Oh, and of course, there's Notorious. But you already know about Notorious