Monday, September 14, 2009

Backstory

Pattern: Braided Neckpiece
Yarn: Rowan Cork
Needles: US 10 1/2
Exposition: Still needs blocking. I should have done it this weekend, but I just didn't have the time!

This scarf is great! It may look like an exceedingly complicated knit, but it's super quick and easy. This pattern will definitely be making an appearance in some holiday gift boxes!

The Rowan Cork is a great yarn to work with. Nice and smooshy and the chunky weight means super and fast. This project tool approximately two balls. Not bad! Go knit yourself one!

Friday night when I got home, I tried casting on a few different lacy projects but wasn't having much success. As you all know, I'm no lace knitter and trying to knit a complicated pattern on fine mohair just wasn't happening. So I stepped back and decided to tackle the challenges facing me separately. First on the list was acclimating myself to thread-like yarn and large needles. I took the yarn left over from the Habu Mohairy sweater and cast on for the Lala Scarf from Greetings from the Knit Cafe. A very easy knit, but somehow I ended up with 3 times the number of stitches I should have. Strange but true. Now you see why I don't knit lace often?

This far into it, I'm just going to with it. Frogging this much mohair is out of the question. I was having an extreme moment of indecision when when it came to deciding on a edge color. I kept going back and forth between color combos when my sister offered up some purple lace weight leftover from one of her projects. YIPPPEEE! So this will be on hold until next weekend.

With Lala in a holding pattern, I decided to start on an actual lace project. But rather than use a proper lace yarn, I'm using fingering weight. This pattern is the lovely Waves of Grain scarf from Knitty. Although this pattern was one of my Friday false starts, I was able to get through the first few rows with minimal problems and have gotten through the first repeating pattern with relative ease and with all my stitches correct.

I'm a little concerned about how much of the pattern I'm going to lose by knitting it in this complicated red variegated yarn, but I'll just have to live with it for now. I'm sure it will be pretty in it's own right.

And lastly from this weekend, I did some recon at Diane Von Fursterburg's store on Melrose. They only had one pom pom hat left...and it was sitting atop a mannequin's head in the front window. The sales girl got it down for me and the first thing I noticed about it was that it was a crochet hat, not a knitted one. I tried it on and it was sufficiently silly but not silly enough for me to quit my pom pom hat obsession. I told myself, "With the right outfit..."

I attempted to take a picture of it for reference and this is how it came out...

Photographer? Yeah, no.